16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 26 09:23:56 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 26.07.2016, 09:59 +1000 schrieb Karl Auer:

> Network Manager DOES have issues - the way it handles the DNS is a step
> too far, and getting rid of dnsmasq is the first thing I do on a new
> install.

well, compared to 60sec timeouts when you have a slow or unreachable DNS
server having a caching DNS proxy locally is not the worst idea i
think ;)
it really depends how well that network you connect to is maintained,
travelling a lot with a laptop you will hit a lot of badly configured
hotel networks, there this comes in handy ;)

on a workstation connected to a wired network with a proper non-changing
DNS setup this might indeed be overkill...

back to lightdm and the OP: the NM recommends of the greeter is needed
due to the fact that lightdm can authenticate against LDAP servers, NM
provides a dbus interface to check the network status that lightdm
uses ...

note though that NM is only a recommends, had you used apt instead of
aptitude lightdm would have not been removed alongside, aptitude
uninstalls recommends by default i think ... apt does not do that.

ciao
	oli