16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 25 20:49:36 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-07-25 at 22:23 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 20:58:46 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> >
> > It appears the the lightdm package was UNINSTALLED
>
> Then why do you get the following output from systemctl status?
>
> Process: 2937 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/lightdm start (code=exited,
>     status=0/SUCCESS)

well, you do... i dont (this system was bought preinstalled with 12.04
and upgraded since):

ogra at styx:~$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS"
ogra at styx:~$ sudo systemctl status lightdm|grep init.d
ogra at styx:~$ sudo systemctl status lightdm|grep systemd
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service.d
ogra at styx:~$

no idea how you got there ... /etc/init.d/lightdm is definitely not
used in any of my 16.04 installs here (and isnt supposed to be) ...

> > you should complain to the rtirq maintainers then (the debian
> > multimedia team) for not porting it to systemd yet
>
> I wonder why they rely on systemd-sysv-generator.
>
> That's from upstream, Rui, the one who wrote the script, not Debian,
> aka Ubuntu's upstream, http://www.rncbc.org/jack/rtirq-20150216.tar.g
> z ,
> IIRC he's using Suse:

well SuSE nowadays uses systemd too ...
perhaps you could convince him then to provide proper systemd
integration ;)

> On Arch Linux it's moved to /usr/bin/:
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/rtirq start
> ExecStop=/usr/bin/rtirq stop
> > From the Arch PKGBUILD:
>
> sed -e "s|etc/init.d|usr/bin|" -i rtirq.service

so arch uses the exact same setup just in a different path and via a
hack at build time, but you call ubuntu a hybrid ?

> "File list of package rtirq-init in sid of architecture all
> /etc/init.d/rtirq
>
> I'll talk it over with the Ubuntu Studio team, instead of talking to
> Debian packagers.

well, if they like to carry a patch against debian ... usually the
proper way is to try to send your fix to debian to not put more burden
on the *buntu maintainers but have it properly coming down the drain in
the future (and not having to spend time to manually merge packages
every start of a release cycle)....

ciao
	oli