16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Mon Jul 25 19:57:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:27:08PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 21:08 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I too don't like it. Therefore I uninstall it. But I'd not expect
> > that the whole desktop environment would be removed along with
> > network-manager.
>
> It's VERY UNWISE to use -y -q with aptitude remove.

NM is about the only package, which I am uninstalling this way.

The question is: why is there this dependancy of the desktop from NM in the
first place? Is there any reason why a desktop can't exist without such a
russian roulette software like NM?

Or to put it the other way: how do I stop NM from making a mess with my
network configuration without removing the desktop?

I KNOW how my network is structured. NM is trying to GUESS how it is
structured. I don't want any software to GUESS. I prefer to TELL EXCATLY.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de