16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Mon Jul 25 19:27:08 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 21:08 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> I too don't like it. Therefore I uninstall it. But I'd not expect
> that the whole desktop environment would be removed along with
> network-manager.

It's VERY UNWISE to use -y -q with aptitude remove.  You should always
look at the packages that will be removed, and think about whether they
make sense or not, then make conscious decision to remove.

Most likely some aspect of the desktop depends on network-manager.

When I run "aptitude remove -s network-manager" on my system it
reports:

   network-manager-gnome : Depends: network-manager (>= 1.1) but it is not going to be installed.
   ubuntu-gnome-desktop : Depends: network-manager but it is not going to be installed.

       Remove the following packages:
  1)     network-manager-gnome
  2)     ubuntu-gnome-desktop

       Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
  3)     unity-greeter recommends network-manager-gnome

So, likely it decided to remove your desktop to resolve the problem.