Terminal taking up 1/3 screen

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 07:27:05 UTC 2016

On 25 July 2016 at 01:10, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/24/2016 11:10 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 24 July 2016 at 04:37, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. I was , as usual, fat-fingering the keyboard, and
> now on monitor 1 I have a terminal open that takes up the top third of my
> screen. I tried exit and doesn't go away. Any ideas?
>
> What happens when you type exit?  What does it show in the terminal?
>
> Colin
>

> It just clears the screen.

When describing symptoms it is *very* important to describe what
happens carefully and accurately.  You said initially that you somehow
opened a terminal that takes up the top third of the screen.  Now you
say that if you type exit (and presumably return) that it clears the
whole screen.  What to?  A black screen? Your wallpaper, or what?

Also can you confirm that you are using standard Ubuntu with Unity.

When you have the terminal filling the top third of the screen do you
mean the title bar is right at the top of the screen (with the Close
button (X) in the top left hand corner of the screen)?  If so what
happens if you drag the title bar down the screen a little?

What happens if you click the Close button?

What happens if you click the Maximise/Unmaximise button?

Colin