16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sun Jul 24 23:00:38 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 11:56:56PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 22:30:12 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> >the graphical login won't start anymore.
>
> You could start troubleshooting by taking a look at those two log file:
>
>   cd /var/log/
>   grep EE Xorg.0.log
>   sudo tail -60 lightdm/lightdm.log

Thanks for the suggestions, Ralf!

Unfortunatly, I can't get any clue from those two files.

The only Error in Xorg.0.log is the complain tha it can't compile keymap.

In lightdm.log, I can find only messages from stopping the service.

Unfortunately, both files contain no absolute timestamps, but only seconds
sonce the boot. Therefore, it gets next to impossible to see what happened
when.

Anyway, when I reboot, none of those files are touched. Thus, it looks like
there is no attempt to start the lightdm service.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de