Chrome tabs text size

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 23 14:28:06 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 08:31:12 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>A couple of days ago Ubuntu 14.04 received a few updates and Chrome
>updated from 51.xxx to 52.xxx. Now the text in Chrome's tabs appears
>to be almost twice the size as normal.

Hi,

I neither have 14.04 installed, nor Chrome or Chromium for my 16.04
install, so I can't say anything about this issue. However, since
Chrome must be from a third party repository, I've taken a look at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and for Trusty, but even for Yaketty
Chromium still is version 51.0.2704.79. Taking a look at
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/chromium-browser, even unstable doesn't
provide an upgrade yet. A wild guess, one reason for this issue could
be related to the dependency chain.

Since I seldom use google-chrome, I don't regularly upgrade it, for my
Arch Linux, were Chrome is installed. Official Arch Linux repositories
still provide Chromium 51.0.2704.106, but Chrome available by the
Arch user repository is 52.0.2743.82. So I build Chrome 52.0.2743.82
right now and compared it with 51.0.2704.106 by screenshot.
The tab font size remains the same. Another 51 release available in my
cache is 51.0.2704.84, I also installed this package and the font size
for the tabs didn't change. Note, Arch Linux is a _real_ rolling
release, so most packages follow stable releases from upstream,
however, for this test I only upgarded and downgraded google.chrome. I'm
running openbox and use ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to set up the font size.

At least for other GTK2 apps I noticed that ~/.gtkrc-2.0 was ignored
for my Ubuntu 15.10 and still is ignored for my 16.04, also running
openbox.

Regards,
Ralf

--