Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Jul 22 18:48:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 07:42:49PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 19:14, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> >
> > How do you cope with the distro's config files? When the package-maintainer
> > decides to change something?
>
> I ignore them. They work. I have been using Ubuntu since the first
> release, 4.10, and I think I've had a problem about 2-3 times in
> twelve years.

I'm not about problems. I'm about adjustments I made myself. I don't want to
loose them when I reinstall the machine. Or when i install another machine (in
a totally different place, maybe without the possibility to mount /home)
Sorting out my own adjustments from distro's pre-configured is a PITA. Having
it all onto a separate partition is much less trouble. Especialy when you have
a postinstall-script and a repository with 20k LOC of configurations scripts,
that do all the work for you

;-)

> [1] I've never had a laptop stolen or lost. Phones, many; laptop, never.

Once it has happened, it's too late to do the pre-cautions.

> [2] It's passworded anyway, at login and at resume.

They can download a live-CD everywhere on the net to get around the password.

> [3] They want things to sell, not to data-mine.

Exactly! And there are people buing hardware on ebay, just to get their hands
onto foreign data.

> [4] https://xkcd.com/538/ -- and read the mouseover text and think about it.

They will need to decrypt the disk if they want to know whom to hit with this
$5 wrench. Think about it...

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de