Run a script on first boot after install in 16.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:15:31 UTC 2016

On 22 July 2016 at 09:59, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> I have to come back to this topic again:
>
> My postinstall-script that is started on first bootup starts a screen session.

Wow, you *really* like to make life difficult for yourself! :-o

> This way, it can prompt me to query for additional information, and I am able
> to to start new shell sessions for investigating any problems that can come
> up.
>
> unfortunatley, while waiting for my script to finish (that can last some
> hours!), systemd outputs a message telling me that it is waiting for it to
> finish. It repeats this message multiple times per second to show a red dot
> moving from left to right and back again. This output destroys all the output
> in my screen session and I can't seen any prompt (it is immedeately
> overwritten). I can't even see what I am typing when I start a new shell in
> screen by CTRL-A CTRL-C!
>
> This output is thrown at whatever termial I switch, so switching terminals
> won't help.
>
> Why won't this output stay on virtual console 1? How can I disable it?

Systemd does not play nice with ``screen'' and similar tools.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11782364

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/4ldewx/systemd_kills_screen_and_tmux_by_default_on_logout/

You might be better off investigating something like Devuan -- Debian
without systemd:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/29/systemd_free_debian_fork_devuan_reaches_beta/