Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:53:53 UTC 2016

On 20 July 2016 at 22:58, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> Found it! This belongs into boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Preseed EFI boot works now :-))
>
> Thanks for the support!

Excellent! :-)

> My current plan is:
>
> 1. delete sda4 and sda6 (assuming, windows don't really need them?
> 2. resize sda3 (Windows C:) to about 50G (is this enough?)
> 3. move+resize sda5 to the end of sda3
> 4. Create ubuntu partitions as usual.

That sounds good to me. I *think* that Windows wants/needs its own
system partition -- that's the hidden one before the C drive. The
others you should be able to remove.

> Will the d-i partitioner properly shrink the partition? Or will I need to
> defragment the disk before shrinking it?

I am not sure what "the d-i partitioner" means.

GParted on the boot/install DVD image should do, yes.

I suggest you give Windows a deep clean before you start, though.
Empty the \WINDOWS\TEMP & \USERS\%username%\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP
folders. Empty the bin. Disable System Restore. Disable hibernation.

Run something like Disk Cleanup, _twice_ -- once for normal files,
then again for system files.

Then run CCleaner or something like it and get it to remove everything
it can (then remove it again).

A defrag shouldn't be needed -- GParted can move stuff if it needs to
-- but it might make the resize operation quicker.

>> The mounted partition is /dev/sda1, the EFI partition from the hard drive.
>
> Should I leave it mounted during install or should I umount it?
>
> Why is it mounted at all?

I'd leave it. As I understand it, there are files in there containing
EFI system variables. Ubuntu must insert itself into the EFI boot
sequence, so it needs to write to that volume. But as I said, I don't
know much about EFI and this might be wrong.