Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:22:09 UTC 2016

On 20 July 2016 at 19:04, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 03:57:56PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Are you sure?
>
> I've found it now: it is in boot/grub/efi.img

Good.

> The next question is, how to customize it? For the traditiona BIOS, I gave
> isolinux the following line to start preseeding:
>
>   append  debian-installer/locale=de_DE.UTF-8 console-setup/ask_detect=false \
>           keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=de \
>           keyboard-configuration/variantcode=nodeadkeys \
>           file=/cdrom/preseed/s-test.seed \
>           initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 --
>
> How would I give this information to the EFI system? I see, efi.img is a
> mountable image. But when I mount it, I can't find any configuration files on
> it.

I have no idea. I think you need to investigate what's inside it, what
it's for, etc.. The filename extension suggests to me it's an image --
i.e. a binary image of something, e.g. a block of memory. There's no
guarantee it's a disk image.

>> > While at it: the partitioner on ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso don't seem to be
>> > aware of the UEFI partitions?
>>
>> There are no such things as UEFI partitions as such.
>
> Well, there are
> - ESP (Efi partition)
> - MSR (Microsoft reserved)
> - MS recovery environment (seems to be Windows related)
> - Win recovery environment (looks like Windows related, too)

Those are the partitions on a UEFI machine with Windows installed. So?
They aren't specific "UEFI partitions" as such.

Personally I have little experience with EFI. I can only talk in terms
of my general impressions.

[1] You need the ESP. Don't remove it. AFAIK!

[2] MSR, MS recovery: only needed for Windows. If you're getting rid
of Windows, remove them.

[3] Win recovery: this sounds like a duplication of one of the above.
I'm not sure. Might be a vendor-specific thing. Again, though, if you
don't want Windows, get rid of it.

You need to tell us more about what the hardware you're using, what
you want to achieve, size of disks, desired end result, etc. before we
can comment on specifics.

> The recommendation by the partitioner is to wipe all of those.
>
> BTW: When the EFI-installer starts, the partition /dev/sda (is this the EFI
> partition) is already mounted and the installer complains that it is mounted.

You must be *very* careful to use the right words. It is really
important. If you do not, we will not understand each other and you
will not be able to Google for assistance or information.

/dev/sda is *not* a partition. It is the entire disk drive.

As such it is not "mounted". You can't mount a whole disk drive, only
volumes on it.