Battery Working, but not Charging

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 18 17:08:14 UTC 2016

On Monday 18 July 2016 12:05:33 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:13:34 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> d) It's charging when using Ubuntu, but some software needs that
> >> much resources, that the consumption is higher than the charging.
> >>
> >> ;)
> >
> >While I suppose thats possible Ralf, I have serious doubts that this
> >is the case.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> I agree with you, this unlikely is an issue for a laptop. It's a
> common issue for tablet PCs.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

And I'm rather old school at my age, I haven't been able to justify the
purchase of something that wants to convince people its a real computer.
They have to convince me first.

In fact, my next computer buy will likely be a Dell 745 sans HD so the
dealer can keep the windows license. I just bought a much bigger lathe,
a 64 yo 11x36 Sheldon that has badly worn screws and I'll need to have a
computer to run it with when the conversion is complete with a pair of
new .001" accurate ball screws and motors to turn the screws with.
Since this isn't exactly an engine swap simple thing, I am making the
parts to do this conversion on a smaller lathe or on one of my cnc
controlled milling machines.  Essentially I have to make everything but
the ball screws and bearings. Suitable motors and driver stuff I can
source, but all the hardware to make them fit comes straight from my
brain to gcode in an editor to carve it. And its slow when its one piece
at a time.  Fortunately, much of this is lights out manufacturing, where
you start the job and verify its running ok, its going to take 14.7
hours to run, so you turn out the lights, close the shop door and go get
a nights sleep. ;-)  It wasn't quite done this morning, so I've been
sawing and nipping up into fire pit fitting pieces, a dying lilac bush
about 15 feet tall that I took down last week. But a thunderstorm just
went marching by, so everything including yours truly is wet as I had to
pick up the electric saw & put it away before I could come in.

I'll dry, I did the first time and many times since.

Such is a day in the life of a genuine senior citizen who has quite a
list of BTDT things. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)