Using DNS server to stop local domains going through internet

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Fri Jul 15 03:29:19 UTC 2016

dnsmasq is more than a simple cache... it's a 'do the right thing for
a small home environment thing'.  For example, to advertise local
services, just put them in /etc/hosts, and dnsmasq picks them up.  As
another example, as soon as you are finished setting up bind, you will
realize that it doesn't do dhcp, and you'll want to setup the isc-dhcp
server that matches.  dnsmasq does dhcp as well, kind of for free.

I don't get what problem you are solving, so it's hard to help.

If you really want to use bind9 and isc-dhcp-server and you want a
simple way to do it, I wrote this to make it less monotonous:

https://github.com/petersilva/si46ib9d

It does both bind and dhcp server configs for IPv4 and IPv6 for a
typical home setup (with split-horizon.) just did it to automate my
maintenance at home, as normally you have to enter hostnames and
addresses three or four times for the ISC tools.