Xenial login failure

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:24:21 UTC 2016

On 12 July 2016 at 18:01, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> PS: Maybe swiping is done after the password already is written. I don't
> know how the display manager's greeter works.

I had the fprint-GUI installed.

https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/ubuntu/fingerprint-gui

I managed to log in, but found I was unable to enter my password again
in order to sudo.

After several tries, and putting the machine to sleep for 30min to
cool off -- it was about 30⁰ C in South Moravia today -- I managed to
``sudo -s'' on the console, and I've removed the fingerprint login
stuff.

The machine now seems to be functioning normally again.

Fingerprint login is a bit of fun, but not essential, and if it causes
problems, I'm happy to live without it.

Thank you all for the pointers which guided my troubleshooting.