Xenial login failure

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jul 12 06:57:00 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:24:32AM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> So I only have my Thinkpad X200 for a couple of days and thus it has
> decided now is a good time to refuse to log in.
>
> (I am typing in Win10. :-( It's fine, actually, it works, but it's sluggish.)
>
> It's v16.04, upgraded from 14.04, upgraded from a new install of 13.10.
>
> It has occasionally done this before, but usually, a reboot clears it.
>
> It's running vanilla Ubuntu-64 with Unity.
>
> The machine is a Core 2 Duo with 8GB of RAM and on-chip Intel HD4500
> graphics. No dedicated GPU.
>
> I've Googled the issue and most people talk about issues with nVidia
> graphics, which I don't have.
>
> The Guest account still works.

We have two X201 machines running xubuntu, never had a problem.

When you say 'refuse to log in' what actually happens?  As the guest
login works there can't be much fundamentally wrong, it has to be
something in your user configuration.

Can you get a console login (CTRL/ALT/Fn where n = 1 to 6) and login
as yourself using that?

It would be worth looking at ~/.xsession-errors, that might give a clue.

--
Chris Green