Ubuntu 16.04 with ntpd using NEMA/PPS..

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jul 10 18:43:05 UTC 2016

Howard Leadmon wrote:
>  I have a Garmin 18x which is connected into the serial port on the
> back of my HP DL-380 G7 server, using USB as some articles suggest to
> power it up. I have even run the ppstest, and and it showed I had a
> pps stream coming in, as well as connected to the serial port and I
> could watch the NEMA data flowing in on the board, so it appears at
> least hardware wise I should be OK.  Trust me, I have thought it just
> getting the gpsmod for my pi2 and turning it into a time machine so
> to speak.
>
> > lsmod|grep pps
>
>  The above command shows me:
>
> # lsmod|grep pps
> pps_ldisc              16384  3
> pps_core               20480  3 pps_ldisc
>

>  So I am guessing the PPS stuff is in the kernel.

Yes, obviously the correct module (pps_ldisc) is loaded. Otherwise you
probably couldn't see the pps stream with ppstest. Unfortunately I have
no idea what could be wrong - I don't have a ntp server with pps running
myself. I hope there is someone else who has some experience with pps
who can help you further.

Nils