AMD video cards

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 08:43:38 UTC 2016

Scott Blair wrote:

> On 07/08/2016 02:25 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>> On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 12:17 -0400, Scott Blair wrote:
>>> I am building a new system. I read somewhere that the support for AMD
>>> video cards is bad for Linux.
>> It's less well-supported than nVidia hardware, which is what people
>> usually recommend. if you are actually building your own Linux system
>> then I would avoid AMD. On the other hand since it's not a laptop you c
>> an swap it out easily enough.
>>
>>> There are 3 AMD cards that look like they will do what I want, but if
>>> there is no support it is not worth it.
>> Why not tell us which cards you are considering? Then if anyone is
>> using one of them successfully, they can tell you.
>>
>> I'm using an AMD Radeon R7 M360 in a Lenovo Thinkpad E560. I was unable
>> to boot 14.04 because of the card, and had to install 15.10. I am
>> assuming and hoping that 16.04 won't be a problem :-)
>>
>> Regards, K.
>>
> This is my first choice:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127913
>
> Here is my second choice:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127879
>
> My third choice is now out of stock.

I don't know what you want.  It looks like you want gaming performance.  The
motherboard you mentioned can support a pair of AMD Crossfire video cards or
a pair of nVidia SLI video cards.  I don't know what you can get for a $300
video card budget.  Do some research.  Yes, this counts - but don't trust
any of us. ;-)

Historically nVidia' closed source drivers where better than AMD's closed
source drivers, which were better than the open source drivers for AMD,
which were better than the open source drivers for nVidia.  If you are a
gamer you probably won't be satisfied with anything less then the best
performance you can get.

Try to avoid buying something that is very new, the drivers don't always
appear immediately.

Again, do some research.  Look for some reviews of the cards that you are
interested in.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...