How to restore the MBR after do-release-upgrade?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 9 16:38:11 UTC 2016

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 12:04:51 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> That at least would be a good workaround, IMO still the better
>> solution would be, if Ubuntu would stop enforcing installing a
>> bootloader.
>
>It's the kernel that depends on grub. It makes sense for Ubuntu to do
>so because, if a user's not installing in a container (and therefore
>not in need of a kernel), he doesn't need a bootloader.

I need a kernel, because I only run it in a container to maintain it,
but to use it, I need to "really" boot it. Anyway, I wasn't aware that
it is possible to remove all kernels. If I would run it in a container,
remove all kernels before a release upgrade, then the release upgrade
doesn't install a kernel? This would be the best workaround, since
after the release upgrade I could install a kernel without recommended
packages or simply install a grub-pc dummy package, before installing
it.

To bad, not only the Ubuntu release upgrade caused a construction area,
regular Arch maintenance also require to rewrite scripts e.g.
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind
became                   ^^^^
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci-pci/unbind
                         ^^^^
:D

I noticed this already a while back, when I didn't need to unbind
devices, that share the IRQ with my audio card. I put this work off for
as long as possible.

I thought that I had a backup of everything, wasn't aware that 512
bytes MBR aren't enough. Because I didn't make a backup of the first 1
to 2 MiB, I now have too much work. Work I can't do right now.

Regards,
Ralf