AMD video cards

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jul 8 19:32:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

the issue with proprietary ATI graphics drivers is, that driver support
for a series usually is just for some versions of X. The FLOSS driver
usually does work good for e.g. Google earth, but could completely fail
when running GNOME3.

NVIDIA usually doesn't drop older series, so the proprietary drivers
usually work with any version of X. The FLOSS driver could suffer from
similar issues, as the FLOSS driver for ATI could.

I guess interaction with real-time audio is unimportant for you. I've
ATI and NVIDI, regarding interaction with real-time audio, I sometimes
use one or the other vendor. Assumed just video would be important,
then at least regarding drivers for Linux, I would prefer NVIDI over
ATI. I don't know what vendor is better for special, super-fast 3D
tasks.

Regards,
Ralf