AMD video cards

Scott Blair scott.blair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:36:58 UTC 2016

On 07/08/2016 02:22 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 12:17 -0400, Scott Blair wrote:
>> I am building a new system. I read somewhere that the support for AMD
>> video cards is bad for Linux.
>> There are 3 AMD cards that look like they will do what I want, but if
>> there is no support it is not worth it.
>> Any truth to this?
> Does it depend on whether it's a high or low end board? I've only ever
> paid around £20 for graphics cards. The nvidia one that I had was giving
> me loads of problems with things like Open Office. Swapped it for an AMD
> card some time back which has worked perfectly.

This is the motherboard I am looking to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130859

The reason is it has 3 PCIe 2.0 16 slots and handles DDR3 2133 memory.
It also can handle the CPU I want to get, AMD FX-9590.

I am buying a few things each month so I can afford to pay more for a
better system.
I am thinking of doing cross-fire on the video cards. Looking to spend
about $150 each
on the video cards.

--

Scott Blair:
Thanks,

Scott Blair

USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775

Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"

If you don't stand behind our troops,
feel free to stand in front of them.