How to restore the MBR after do-release-upgrade?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:59:40 UTC 2016

On 8 July 2016 at 14:48, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> I don't know. At the moment the dist-upgrade caused more important
> building lots :(. I could sent several requests to this list ;), such
> as GTK2 fonts became XXS.

Sorry to hear that. By all means do ask the list!

> The problem is, that I don't want to use GRUB from my Ubuntu install.

That is what I am suggesting.

> There was no bootloader installed, just the fine do-release-upgrade
> enforced installing GRUB.

Ubuntu defaults to GRUB in /dev/sda as I understand it. However, it
will remember where you specify it to go and use that from that point
on.

I have a multiboot PC with all OSes having their own bootloaders in
the superblocks of their root filesystems, and only 1 "master" distro
in the MBR. As it happens, for me, that is Ubuntu.

> What ever bootloader I use, how can I prevent the Ubuntu install from
> overwriting an existing bootloader next time I run do-release-upgrade?

If it's in *that installation's own root filesystem* then that is
where it should stay.