Inconsistent DVD accessibility

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:04:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Tommy Trussell
<tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:

:

> SO I found this:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
>
> Sure enough, I installed the regionset package, set the region to 1, which
> covers most DVDs I ever encounter here in Arkansas, USA... (IF VLC respected
> the region code, which I believe it doesn't).
>
> I executed the command
>
> $ sudo regionset /dev/sr0
>
> and followed the prompts.

I tried that and got nowhere.  I put in a new copy of Forbidden Planet
and it works fine.  I ran regionset.  There did not appear to be a
region set, so I set it to 1.  My 3 DVDs that won't read still don't.
(Well, 2 of them don't.  The third is elsewhere at the moment.)

Thanks.