Ubuntu 16.04 LTS cannot shut down

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:36:08 UTC 2016

On 1 July 2016 at 09:56, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> I left it trying to shutdown yesterday at 11:30 PM and this morning
> it was still hung.
>
> the last time, a few minutes ago, again with acpi=force, froze for 16
> minutes before I
> pressed the power button and rebooted. The corresponding chunk of syslog is
> below, the
> whole file is attached. In case the list blocks attachments, and anybody
> else wants to
> see it, just ask.
>
> Trying a live usb... don't even know if I can do that, right now. cannot get
> to the
> bios menu to change boot options, after I tried to update the bios.
>  Will try later, and report, in the meantime here is the syslog excerpt,
> thanks in advance
> for any feedback:
>
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Closed Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
> /dev/rfkill Watch.
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopping Disk Manager...
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopping RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy
> Service...
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopped target Graphical Interface.
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopping Accounts Service...
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Starting Unattended Upgrades Shutdown...
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopped target Bluetooth.
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon systemd[1]: Stopping Bluetooth service...
> Jul  1 10:25:44 avalon rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="762" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on
> signal 15.
> Jul  1 10:42:14 avalon rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="756" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start
> Jul  1 10:42:14 avalon rsyslogd-2222: command 'KLogPermitNonKernelFacility'
> is currently not permitted - did you already set it via a RainerScript
> command (v6+ config)? [v8.16.0 try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2222 ]
> Jul  1 10:42:14 avalon rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 108

I assume the messages frfom 10:42 are from the next startup.  Is that correct?

The last message before the logger is shutdown is Stopping Bluetooth
service.  There is no Stopped message but it is possible that is due
to the logger shutting down.  If you can get into the BIOS (and if you
can't you have bigger problems than Ubuntu not shutting down) then try
disabling bluetooth in the BIOS.  Also try disabling USB3 in the BIOS.
I have had some possibly related problems with USB3 and Bluetooth on
my Fujitsu laptop, though mine were problems with suspend/resume.

If that doesn't help then it should be possible to get a systemd
journal.  First make sure that the directory /var/log/journal exists.
If necessary do

sudo mkdir /var/log/journal

and reboot.  Then shutdown and restart again and immediately run

journalctl -b -1 > journal.txt

which should write the journal to that file.  Have a look at the end
of that for possibly some additional information.

Colin