start time of video on Garmin VFAT camera

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Jan 26 12:59:26 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-23, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 12:09 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
>> For JPG files, the jhead command has options to rename based on the
>> Exif timestamp (more reliable than the file timestamp).
>
> OK.
>
> I originally wrote this to rename raw files from my cameras so that they
> always list in chronological order after converting them to png or being
> more adventurous and doing HDR processing. For that purpose it works
> perfectly for me.
>
> I added in the jpg and others for files that came from devices such as a
> phone that don't make the raw data available.

When I say "more reliable", what I mean is that the exif information
doesn't change when you cp or mv the file, whereas the change & modify
timestamps do.  Unless you remember to use rsync with the right
options, of course, which rarely happens to me!

Well, what do you know.  I was about to ask if there was something
similar to exif in MP4 files --- it turns out there is exif in the
ones my camera makes, & at least two commands available on Ubuntu
(exiftool & avprobe) to read it.