How to set the single click speed?

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 17:46:56 UTC 2016

On 22/01/2016, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 January 2016 at 14:41, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm with Colin on this one.
>>>
>>> Folks, you all sound to me like you have faults or problems with your
>>> pointing devices.
>>>
>>> They do eventually wear out, you know. They're machines with moving
>>> parts. Even optical mice need regular cleaning and some parts are
>>> inaccessible so they need replacement, whereas mechanical ones can be
>>> disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and actually used for longer -- if
>>> nothing breaks.
>>>

>> Happens with different meeces on different computers, and, with brand
>> new meeces.
>>
>> To me, it appears to be a problem with the drivers, and, the lack of
>> configurability (if that is a valid word).
>>
>> These are problems that have started to occur in the later versions of
>> the operating systems, like that $%^$#@@#% in MS Windows >=8, where,
>> as the pointer gets close to the edge of the screen, the system goes
>> rabid, and, when typing in text, in a GUI editing facility, whether in
>> a GUI email application, or an online form, the text is inserted at
>> various locations at random, and, sometimes, several hours of work,
>> suddenly gets deleted, and, using GUI's gets prohibitively difficult,
>> like the way that it went with the GNOME deformity (when the
>> functionality of GNOME 2 was abandoned, for the hindrance that is
>> GNOME >=3). And, yes, I have switched to UbuntuMATE, as the only
>> usable operating system. But, unfortunately, the malignancies appear
>> to have started to invade UbuntuMATE. I should probably not have
>> upgraded the system to the latest version, and should probably have
>> sought to stay with something like v14.04 or earlier (but I think that
>> 14.04, was the first version of UbuntuMATE, albeit an unofficial
>> version).
>
> Well all I can say is that is odd that I have never had similar
> problems.  Can you point me to some of the relevant bugs please?
>
> Is there anything unusual about the machines you are seeing this on or
> are they standard installations?

The operating system in use across the different computers, is UbuntuMATE 15.10.

The hardware involves both (Acer laptop computers and this desktop
computer, which is a Dell Inspiron).

The meeces include Logitech, Crest, and, Zipp meeces, with more than
one Logitech meece involved.

The software used, includes various web browsers and other software.

As a single example, of the malicious mouse actions, in rekonq, when
right clicking on a hypertext link, to bring up a menu (with the
intention of opening the link in a new tab), the bottom menu option is
"Inspect", which is automatically opened by the mouse, on occasion,
with some crap obscuring the bottom half of the screen, including,
usually, the link that needs to be again, right clicked, to manually
click on the "Inspect" option, to clear the crap from the screen.

Similarly, in Firefox, when right clicking on a link, "Inspect
element" is the bottom menu option.

Another example, is that, also in rekonq, when right clicking on a
found spelling error, to correct (or otherwise deal with the issue),
the spellchecker menu is brought up, and the mouse automatically adds
the misspelled word, to the dictionary, the "Add to dictionary"
option, being the bottom option in the menu.

Also, at the top of the menu, are "Open in New Tab", and, "Open in New
Window", in each of the web browsers. The mouse usually selects one of
those, being the one that I do not want, before I get to choose an
option.

I would like to be able to choose one of those options, instead of the
mouse doing whatever it wants, on its own initiative, as the mouse
apparently wants to cause as much disruption as possible.

It would be less disruptive, if one of our cats, was walking up and
down the keyboard, while I type stuff in.

It would be better, if one of the cats, killed the mouse, thinking
that the supposedly inanimate object is instead, the evil, demonic
life form that it appears to be.

Thus, my suggestion that it would be useful, if we could globally
configure all of the pop up menu's, so that the top and bottom menu
options would all be dummy/blank options (a bit like the pen name of
one of the posters on this and/or the Debian lists - no-op, which,
from memory, in machine instructions or assemble language, simply
means "do nothing").

That way, hopefully, a menu option would not be implemented, unless it
is selected by the user.

And, this is apart from that malicious thing that is the "scroll here"
or whatever, menu, that appears when it wants, and causes unwanted
scrolling of the display, so as to cause further disruption.

And, that is all, quite apart from the problems when trying to type in
text, and the text going all over the screen, and, sometimes, beyond
what is displayed on the screen, and, sometimes, when typing, all of
the text that has been entered, and, even saved as draft, suddenly
disappears, with sometimes, the application closing.

I believe that software developers refer to all of this disruption, as
"enhanced features".

--

Bret Busby
Armadale