How to set the single click speed?

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:06:27 UTC 2016

- - - -

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/01/2016, Ernest Doub <hideserted at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >> Reading this thread it seems to me that you need to adjust the
> >>sensitivity< to the mouse, not the >mouse click speed<.
> >

> And how do we do that?
>
> I have found the use of the mouse, to be increasingly obstructive,
> and, more harm than good, as it does all kinds of things that I do not
> want, including imposing unwanted vertical scrolling (when I simply
> move the mouse, the window content scrolls, without me manually
> clicking on the scroll bar and moving the mouse), and, imposing menu
> things that I do not want, without me selecting the menu options.
>
> Amongst other things, this includes the mouse, on its own initiative,
> automatically adding misspelled words to the dictionary  ("Add to
> dictionary" is , in some applications, the bottom menu option, so the
> mouse, on its own initiative, decides to implement that), so as to
> invalidate automated spell-checking. That is only one of the harmful
> things done by the out of control mouse.
>
> Being able to do a global change to menu's that pop up when using the
> non-dominant mouse button, so that the top and bottom menu options are
> always blank, so that the menu will not do anything, unless the user
> manually selects an option and clicks on it, would be a useful start.
>
> It is like some kind of sabotage to what I seek to do, over which I am
> not allowed control, and, it is not clear, how to restrict what the
> mouse does to what I try to do.
>
> It is like "computer mouse" should be renamed "computer rat", because
> it is an out of control thing that does whatever it wants, in spite of
> what this user wants, as if its objective, is to spite the user.
>
> --
>
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992

It's never been a problem for me so I don't have a solution ready to hand.
>From what you just described it sound similar to a problem that occurs when
something gets placed on part of the keyboard and keys are depressed by the
overburden object, causing seemingly mysterious and somewhat random actions
to take place.  If you have another keyboard available it might be worth a
try to substitute for awhile and see if the problem is mitigated.
Other than that I defer to the wisdom of Deep Thought.

Ed
On the Mojave

GNU:  Terry Pratchett