How to set the single click speed?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 23:18:55 UTC 2016

On 01/19/2016 04:45 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I moved from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 and find I have trouble getting drop
>> down menus in the title bar to drop down.
>>
>> If I click on a menu as I normally do it just flashes briefly but does not
>> drop down.  To get it to drop down I must tap and release the button very
>> rapidly.
>>
>> I've googled and checked various "settings" programs but can't find a
>> solution.
>>

> Does the "dash" menu come up when you click it?

yes

> I ask because on my older Dell desktop system I ran into a problem going
> from 10.04 to 12.04 -- I had to turn off the accelerated video because of a
> strange bug with the cheap graphics card I had in the Dell, which caused
> the Unity HUD menu to not work -- it just flashed and nothing appeared, so
> I couldn't use it at all. When 14.04 came out, they removed the option to
> "downgrade" to the 2D graphics driver, so I ended up finding a better video
> card so I could keep using Ubuntu.

This is a fairly new HP desktop that when running 12.04 did not have
this problem.

> Also, have you tried a different mouse?

No. I said mouse for simplicity sake. It is a Kensington Expert Mouse
(ie trackball), but when I boot to 12.04 it works without a problem.

> If you still think it's a mouse click adjustment issue, you can TRY using
> the control panel. If you cannot even click THAT menu, type ctrl-alt-T and
> in the terminal type (note the hyphens and space):
>
> $ unity-control-center mouse
>
> Maybe you can get the clicks to work that way.

I can get to the mouse section of the control center but that just deals
with double click and pointer speed.

> Also try creating a new user account. It could be some cruft from the
> new account works fine, there's probably a hidden directory or two you can
> remove to get it working right.

No cruft. I upgraded by putting in a new hard drive and installing 14.04
fresh. The mouse works. It's just I must tap the mouse button very
quickly to get the menus to drop down.  That's why I am looking for a
way to adjust the click duration/speed I'm not sure what to call it.

Regards,  Jim

Regards,  Jim