Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS how to avoid GRUB update‏

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 08:11:12 UTC 2016

> On Thu, 14/1/16, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS how to avoid GRUB update‏
>  To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>  Cc: "Spyros Tsiolis" <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
>  Date: Thursday, 14 January, 2016, 9:41
>
>  On Thu, 14 Jan 2016
>  07:16:34 +0000 (UTC)
>  Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
>  wrote:
>
>  > >  Yes, I
>  suspect that this
>  > >  should do the
>  job. Actually Petter and I
>  > >
>  suggested the same, I'm just uncertain if a
>  > >  "smart upgrade"
>  (apt-get
>  > >  dist-upgrade) of the
>  kernel image would
>  > >  reinstall a
>  bootloader, since
>  > >  it's a
>  > >  recommended dependency.
>  > Hi Again Ralph,
>  >
>  > OK. I missed to tell you that for the
>  thin-clients, it's Ubuntu 12.04
>  > LTS
>  and I don't intend of upgrading it.
>  >
>  > If I upgrade the thin
>  clients, I am going to it manually by backing up
>  > the users home folders and installing a
>  newer version of Ubuntu
>  > (or any other
>  Debian Linux distro), so there are no worries in regards
>  > to upgrading.
>
>  But don't you apply updates? I believe
>  that's what Ralf meant. 12.04
>  still
>  receives security fixes, which you really don't want to
>  leave out.
>
>  If you purge the
>  grub package, and your system is set to install
>  recommended dependencies, it might install grub
>  again when you update
>  the kernel -
>  that's what Ralf was saying.
>
>  One way to avoid this is to install a dummy
>  package, another way is to
>  place a hold on
>  the packages after purging them - that will prevent them
>  from being reinstalled. Do something like
>  this:
>
>  1. 'dpkg -l |
>  grep grub'
>   This lists all the installed
>  grub packages
>  2. 'apt-get purge <list
>  of packages from above step>'
>   This
>  removes them
>  3. 'apt-mark hold <list
>  of removed packages>'
>   This prevents
>  them from being installed again
>
>  > I do a "bcc" to your e-mail
>  address (or Peters' or Olis').
>  >
>  I won't do this again and also post to the lists'
>  address and
>  > not do "reply" .
>  Right ?
>
>  Don't send
> [...]

Hi Petter,

Correct me if I am wrong but AFAIK, "upgrade" means
upgrading to a more recent Ubuntu OS version
while "update" means updating packages for the
running / existing version.

You have made things much clearer for me.
I 'll go along with the grub hold procedure you
describe.

Again, many thanks for everything,

s.