ubuntu 12.04 LTS how to avoid GRUB update‏

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jan 13 20:32:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:07:36 +0000 (UTC), Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>I have to admit that from all three suggestions (Peter , Ralph and
>Olis'), Olis' one seems to be the most painless.
>
>Should I go ahead with this ?

Yes, I suspect that this should do the job. Actually Petter and I
suggested the same, I'm just uncertain if a "smart upgrade" (apt-get
dist-upgrade) of the kernel image would reinstall a bootloader, since
it's a recommended dependency. For Wily I installed an empty dummy
package that fulfils this recommended dependency, but I don't remember
if this really is needed. Anyway, if you simply purge the GRUB packages
you would get rid of GRUB and next time, when a kernel upgrade is
provided you'll notice what happens. Perhaps it would not install a
bootloader, or you need to cancel the upgrade and after that only
upgrade linux(-image) with

"--no-install-recommends
           Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for
           installing. Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

or run an upgrade that isn't smart (apt-get upgrade) and then continue
with a smart upgrade.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Please take a look, if your mailer provides a "reply to mailing
list" option, since a carbon copy does cause duplicated messages for
the receiver. "Reply to sender" instead of "reply to all" should work
either. Also consider to remove "Reply-To" from your headers, assumed
you won't get duplicated messages too, because some mailers ignore a
default "reply to mailing list only", if the headers contain a
"Reply-To" address other than the mailing list address.