Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS how to avoid GRUB update‏

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 10:12:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, 13/1/16, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

 Subject: Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS how to avoid GRUB update‏
 To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
 Cc: "Spyros Tsiolis" <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
 Date: Wednesday, 13 January, 2016, 10:14

 On Wed, 13 Jan 2016
 08:05:47 +0000 (UTC)
 Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
 wrote:

 > Hello all,
 >
 > About three years
 ago, I decided to migrate a clients' installation
 > from Windows XP to ubuntu 12.04.
 >
 > A brief description
 of the installation : an ubuntu server 14.04 LTS
 > X64 on an HP Blade running on top of
 VMware and for the clients, all
 > PCs are
 transformed from Hard Disk Bloatware (XP) to being used
 as
 > thin clients.
 >

 > The thin clients, use (through PXE)
 ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

 I never had a problem with the installation; It works fine
 day in day
 > out. Heck I don't even
 have to tell the clients to shutdown in case I
 > perform the Ubuntu updates; whether that
 be the Ubuntu server on the
 > blade or
 the actual thin-client software that updates regularly.

 > Here's my
 problem though.
 > These last days, when
 the system fetches out to the internet to get
 > the updates, it comes up with grub2 update
 which doesn't apply for
 > the thin
 clients since they boot from the network and there are no
 > hard drives in them.
 >

 > I searched a lot of pages on the net ;
 however I cannot find a
 > fitting
 solution.

 > What I
 would like to do is "tell" the system to ignore
 Grub2 update
 > and get on with the rest
 of the updates. However, the system

 complains that it cannot do that and refuses to update.

 > Can someone point me
 to the right direction ?

 > thank you all for your patience and
 time,

>>  Have you tried
>>  to put a hold on the package? See the man page for
>>  apt-mark for details.
 >>
 >> If grub isn't used at all, you could also
 >> just remove the package.
 >>
>>  Petter

Hi Peter and thank you for your reply.

Yes, I've "unchecked" the GRUB2 package but synaptic chokes on
other packages that (from what it seems) are needed by the system.
I can post the actual message if you want me to . ..

Regards,

s.