Deja Dup

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:56:36 UTC 2016

>> Johnny,
>>

>> On 09/01/16 18:02, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, Deja Dup has been around for a while and I thought that I wanted
>>> to give it a go, but I just can't figure out how to make it actually do
>>> anything…
>>>
>>> Here are my settings.
>>> Folders to save: Home (<MyUserName>)
>>> Folders to ignore: Trash
>>> Place to store: Local folder (/media/<MyUserName>/Backup 2000/Deja
>>> Dup/<MyName>)
>>> Schedule: Every day, keep for at least 6 months
>>>

>> These settings look OK to me.
>>
>> The button at the upper right corner of the window is ON.
>>> At Overview, both buttons (”Reblaha” and ”Backup now”) are greyed out
>>>

> Ooops, I was supposed to replace ”Reblaha” with the correct word (I run
> Ubuntu in Swedish…), when I found out the translation, but I forgot all
> about it… :P I think ”Restore” is the word I was looking for.
>

>> and can not be used.
>>>

>> This is normal if you have that button set to ON. Turn the button off and
>> you can then use the Backuo Now as a test.
>

> They were greyed out in both cases, but since then I restarted my computer
> (since it was night and I was going to sleep). I'll check it out right away…
> Ah, now they are not greyed out anymore! Turning the button to OFF didn't
> change anything, though, except that the text above the ”Backup now…”
> button changed slightly.
>
> Just pressed the button and it seems to work. It asked me for a password,
> or to disable passwords, which I did, and now it's backing up.
>

>> So how do I make the backup to actually do something? ”Backup now”
>>> doesn't work and nothing happens at all. My USB drive is turned on and
>>> working.
>>>
>>> Also, WHEN is it supposed to backup my files? That is at what time? The
>>> perfect time would of course be when I turn my computer off (I didn't do
>>> that yet, though), making sure a backup is taking place when no more
>>> files will be added or changed for that session. Is that how it actually
>>> works?
>>>

>> OK. Deja Dup only operates when you are logged in. It is controlled by a
>> small daemon that gets started when you log in and runs as you. If you
>> don't logout and leave your machine running, the backups will happen at
>> about 1am in the morning. Otherwise they will happen shortly after you
>> login.
>>

>> You may need to logout and back in again to get the daemon to run.
>>
>> I've not seen anywhere where you can control what time it runs.
>

> I'm surprised that the user can't set the time.
>

>> Do I need to turn my USB disk on before backup is taking place? For
>>> instance, if I try to backup using my own script, the script pops up a
>>> dialogue that tells me that I need to start my USB drive, and then it
>>> gives me 2 minutes to do so. During those two minutes, it constantly
>>> checks for the drive and starts the backup automatically when it finds
>>> it. Does Deja Dup use a similar approach?

> [...]
I also wish there was a way to set the compression level. I prefer speed
over compression (my backup drive is oversized so I wouldn't worry about
space for quite a while), especially since most of my files are already
compressed anyway (such as FLAC, ODF, images and videos) and doesn't get
much smaller than they already are.