SpaceFM?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:10:29 UTC 2016

On 9 January 2016 at 18:00, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> I've got a better idea. You backup your Ubuntu, you keep the old
> install and instead of making a copy of the old install, you restore
> the backuped install on new partitions and then run a release upgrade,
> so you'll see that making a backup and restoring a backup isn't hard to
> do.

This is a good idea, too.

I have done this. Copied a root partition into a spare one, then
adjusted /etc/fstab and GRUB so now I am
dual-booting 2 copies of the same install.

Then you can upgrade one and keep the spare.

Jim, you need to relax a bit. You're not running something proprietary
any more. It doesn't mind that you have 2 copies side-by-side. You can
have 4 or 6 if you want -- disk space is very cheap.

Unlike OS/2 there are no licences, no restrictions. Ubuntu doesn't
care what partition it is on and will ignore other copies.

Unlike Windows, there are no hidden registry settings telling it what
drive it's on, so if you duplicate it, they interact, loading files
from the wrong partition. Ubuntu uses the root partition GRUB gives it
and ignores other copies.