update-manager || web browser

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun Jan 3 04:44:57 UTC 2016

Saturday, January 2, 2016, 3:57:44 PM, Ralf wrote:

> Hi,

> others already pointed out that more RAM not necessarily will help.

> I'm using web browsers not in the same way as you do, so I can't
> give hints regarding your work-flow. However, I used older versions
> of Opera too and some of it's features that should improve
> performance did just the opposite. I dislike the new Opera and
> taking a look at it's settings my guess is, that you should
> experiment with different settings.

> Have you compared Opera with it's successor Vivaldi?
> https://vivaldi.com/story/

That's verrrrry interesting! Hadn't heard of it before.

As I was checking out browsers, I learned that opera is now using
blink/google. I didn't realize that. Yech! A big reason why I started
using opera many years ago was because they had excellent privacy
features at that time. May need to rethink that. Privacy and Google
don't belong in the same sentence. :-))

It's looking like time to change browsers...

> Have you tested other advanced web browsers?

> QupZilla, IceCat, PaleMoon, Firefox, Chrome, Chromium?

I use Firefox for a few things...

> My recommendation is to test QupZilla, available by the official
> Ubuntu repositories.

Running 12.04 - it doesn't show up in the software center but is on
the net, as are a couple of others.

> You could try one of the minimalistic lightweight web browsers, such as
> xombrero. Using xombrero requires reading the man page.
>
>   $ man xombrero

That seems a bit too minimalistic. :-)

> Some web browser might not be available by official repositories, but
> binaries might be provided by upstream, e.g.
>
>   $ cd /tmp/
>   $ wget
> http://mirror.unicorncloud.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.5.2/icecat-38.5.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>   $ tar xjf icecat-38.5.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>   $ rm icecat-38.5.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>   $ sudo chown -R root:root icecat/
>   $ sudo mv -i icecat/ /opt/icecat-38.5.2
>   $ cd /usr/local/bin/
>   $ sudo ln -s /opt/icecat-38.5.2/icecat icecat

> Replace pluma with your favourite editor to write a desktop file.

Kate is my favorite, but I use gedit for sys stuff.

>   $ sudo pluma /usr/local/share/applications/icecat.desktop

> Content of the desktop file:

> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=/usr/local/bin/icecat %u
> Icon=/opt/icecat-38.5.2/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
> Type=Application
> Terminal=false
> MultipleArgs=false
> Name=GNU IceCat