update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:57:37 UTC 2016

On 2 January 2016 at 03:43, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> Has 8GB, but I still get to the point where Mem & Swp are FULL, and
> virt is MUCH larger than both Mem+Swp. Results in flaky at least and
> soon a crash. Also Opera does not seem to be able to deal with such a
> crash. When Opera crashes with 'normal ' mem usage [Mem & Swp not
> nearly full] it offers to restore the state before the crash, which it
> does pretty well. In the huge virt case, opera restores with a just a
> blank page.

Wow! :-o

Well, another question. I don't use Opera myself, except for some
legacy copies of 12 for one specific function. Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

What addons are you using? In Firefox and to a lesser extent Chrome,
AdBlock+ can cause drastic RAM bloat. µBlock is slightly better.

I use Privoxy. More ads get through but it does nothing at all to the
browser RAM usage.

>> Currently the sweet spot is 8GB. It's cheap, and 12-16GB won't give
>> much noticeable difference for most people.
>
> Hmmmm... Let's say I go to 16 or even 32 G. That is still much smaller
> than what virt indicates when Opera gets loaded. Are you suggesting
> that 16 or 32 G would NOT solve that problem?
>
> Appreciate your help...

I doubt it will help, TBH.

What might, somewhat, is what I do. I use both Chrome /and/ Firefox,
with the Xmarks addon synching bookmarks between them.

I use Chrome for Web2 type stuff, intensive AJAX apps, such as Gmail,
Gcalendar, Gcontacts, G+ etc.

I use Firefox for general browsing. I have a set of add-ons, such as
merged sidebars, vertical tabs, flat bookmarks and so on that give
Firefox a better UI on widescreen monitors. Chome can't do that.

At $JOB-2, for very high numbers of tabs, I also used Tabhunter, tab
groups, TreeStyleTabs in place of Vertical Tabs and some other tweaks.

I keep that setup on all 3 of my machines, and use it on Windows and
Linux and Ubuntu.

It might be worth an experimental go to see if certain sites are
causing extreme RAM usage.

Secondly, if it's one monolithic huge app, this probably won't help,
but you could try experimentally enabling RAM compression. To do this,
install zram-config, or Google for info.