update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Jan 2 18:54:43 UTC 2016

Hello Ralf,

Friday, January 1, 2016, 9:28:45 PM, Ralf wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 18:43:11 -0800, rikona wrote:
>>> OK, how much does the current one have?
>>
>>Has 8GB, but I still get to the point where Mem & Swp are FULL

> Sometimes even after killing an app, the memory isn't released, then the
> easiest way to free the memory could be a reboot. Assumed no app should
> cause memory issues caused by it's design or by a bug and there should
> be no strange limits.conf settings affect memory usage, shared memory
> for the graphics frame buffer has a sane value, then more RAM could
> solve your issue. Hundreds opened browser and editor tabs might need
> lot of memory.

>   df -h

> could show if tmpfs or partitions do cause issues. There should be space
> for

>   /tmp
>   /run/user/$(id -u)

> and any used partition available.

> Filling 8 GiB only would happen by unusual needs, but it could happen.

> How much memory is used by the 3 apps that use most of the memory?

>   ps aux|head -n1;ps aux|sort -nrk 4|head -n3

Nice command - thanks. Opera is the mem hog - it's using 50% now with
only 3 instances and about 40 tabs open.

BUT I have started running opera in a different way. Opera can save
'sessions' which are a window with all tabs, so I have been saving
several 'sessions' each with a single topic of interest. I switch back
and forth between topics by opening and closing 'sessions'/windows. A
new window actually comes up fairly quickly, so this is not as bad as
it might sound. When very heavily loaded, opera slows down A LOT and
this window switching is probably as fast to work with because opera
is much more responsive when lightly loaded. Back a bit, when VERY
heavily loaded, opera was taking *minutes* to respond and was
essentially useless.

There has been a lot of discussion about mem lately, but if I look at
my case it would seem as though adding a *lot* more memory would allow
me to load opera more heavily and still have it fast, because it would
not start swapping, as it does now when heavily loaded. Is that a
correct conclusion?

> And what are the 3 apps that use most of the CPU resources?

>   ps aux|head -n1;ps aux|sort -nrk 3|head -n3

Opera is also the cpu hog too. :-) Uses 80-90% of cpu...

For both mem and cpu, nothing else is using very much - opera is the
major hog of both.

Thanks much!

--

 rikona