update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jan 2 12:28:51 UTC 2016

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 13:11:53 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 11:14:27 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> >The allegation that a reboot spins down the disk isn't even true. I
>> >have tested it with two machines and on both a reboot doesn't
>> >increase the load cycle count, i.e. the disk doesn't spin down.
>>
>> Then try again with an external drive connected by USB.
>
>Ok, I tried it. Unfortunately the old ATA disk connected via USB/ATA
>bridge doesn't support S.M.A.R.T. data, so I couldn't check the load
>cycle counter. However the disk is loud enough to hear that the disk
>doesn't spin down during a reboot.

I know for sure that my external USB drive does. I don't know how my
internal SATA drives behave, but regarding the noise they are parked too
and the same sound was made by my old IDE drives. I try to keep it in
mind and to run smartctl to check my internal SATA drives, if I should
reboot.

"Unfortunately" I don't reboot that often, last time I stopped a
session I didn't reboot, instead I shut down the machine, before I
visited a party to celebrate New Year's, so uptime isn't that long at
the moment, but usually the machine is up for days.

$ uptime
 13:19:02 up 17:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.14, 0.15

Even to maintain (e.g. to upgrade) several Linux installs on my machine,
I not necessarily restart the computer, usually I just

$ sudo systemd-nspawn -bqD /path/to/other/linux/install

or

$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /path/to/other/linux/install

without -b, IOW even without a full boot inside the container.

Regards,
Ralf