update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jan 2 05:28:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 18:43:11 -0800, rikona wrote:
>> OK, how much does the current one have?
>
>Has 8GB, but I still get to the point where Mem & Swp are FULL

Sometimes even after killing an app, the memory isn't released, then the
easiest way to free the memory could be a reboot. Assumed no app should
cause memory issues caused by it's design or by a bug and there should
be no strange limits.conf settings affect memory usage, shared memory
for the graphics frame buffer has a sane value, then more RAM could
solve your issue. Hundreds opened browser and editor tabs might need
lot of memory.

  df -h

could show if tmpfs or partitions do cause issues. There should be space
for

  /tmp
  /run/user/$(id -u)

and any used partition available.

Filling 8 GiB only would happen by unusual needs, but it could happen.

How much memory is used by the 3 apps that use most of the memory?

  ps aux|head -n1;ps aux|sort -nrk 4|head -n3

And what are the 3 apps that use most of the CPU resources?

  ps aux|head -n1;ps aux|sort -nrk 3|head -n3