update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Jan 2 00:21:27 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 00:21 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> They do exhaustive performance testing, more so than most magazines,
> because the mag is aimed at overclockers and customisers, who are
> *fanatical* about performance.

But who are not "average users"...

Installing an SSD into most laptops means swapping out the old disk,
inserting a new one that is either half the capacity or double the
price, moving everything across from the old disk etc. At least with
Linux we don't have the whole Microsoft licensing nightmare, but it's
still not cheap, not easy, not quick and not simple. For desktops or
two-drive laptops it's easier, but you still have a lot to do, and
that's assuming you know how to do it yourself. It's a LOT more
expensive if you have to pay someone to do it for you. Anyone can swap
RAM sticks, and even if you have to get someone to do it for you, it's
ten minutes' work for your local computer shop.

Adding RAM is cheap, easy and *in general* affective at improving PC
performance. I absolutely agree that it is not *always* the right way to
go, and that gets more true the more RAM you already have. I'm certainly
not suggesting adding RAM blindly, or advising against SSDs (which are
fantastic), I'm just saying look at the RAM situation first.

This is not really an Ubuntu discussion any more, BTW.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4