update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jan 1 10:47:54 UTC 2016

Happy new year!

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 22:14:02 -0800, rikona wrote:
>My next box will have a LOT more memory!! :-)

My too, but it's not needed, it's just nice to have more RAM than
needed.

As long as there shouldn't be a program that eats nearly 100% of the
CPU resources, you don't need to worry about the CPU usage of
individual programs. IMO it's better to take a look at the overall CPU
usage. Somebody already mentioned the threads. It's annoying, in the
past a program of the kit family run more than 50 threads, this is
against Linux policy.

Opinions about RAM usage are tricky, since Linux does use all available
RAM in a very smart way. As long as there is less or no swap usage,
even usage of nearly the complete available RAM not necessarily means
that you need more RAM.

$ df

shows what dirs are tmpfs, a file system in memory. Ubuntu's default is
that /tmp isn't tmpfs, but it's nice to change this, assumed you should
compile large programs in /tmp. I've got 4 GiB RAM, even if I allow /tmp
as tmpfs to use 3 GiB instead of the default half of the memory, it's
not enough to build web browsers such as firefox and icecat, so I stay
with /tmp not being a tmpfs. Apart from this even 2 GiB would be enough
for even doing RAM hungry audio productions. I plan to buy a new PC and
directly will buy as much RAM as possible, since this could be
comfortable, but IMO it is not really needed. OTOH it might be useful
to spend the money not for the RAM, but instead for a good computer
case. I payed very much for a professional audio card, but all computer
cases I ever owned were and still are a PITA, I got them for free and
one for less money.

Regards,
Ralf