Linux, Lenovo, AMD Radeon

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sun Feb 28 07:37:02 UTC 2016

(I am replying to more than one message here.)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:07:57 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Sigh.
>
> I created a UEFI-only install USB stick, to make certain the install
> was using UEFI.

Might be a good idea.

> That resulted in this error message:
>
>    The "grub-efi-amb54-signed" package failed to
>    install into /target/. Withut the GRUB boot
>    loader, the installed system will not boot".
>
> After which the installer crashed.

Probably because it had failed to mount /boot/efi, see below.

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:51:58 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Just to try something different, I chose "Reinstall Ubuntu: insted of
> "Erase and install Ubuntu". It then objected that I had no EFI boot
> partition" and said that this would have to be rectified of the system
> might not boot.
>
> I don't know what that means. Surely Windows has such a partition, or
> is it an EFI partition just for Ubuntu? If so, why did it not create
> one for itself?

In the installer, select manual partitioning. Select the ESP, there has
to be one, or Windows wouldn't boot in UEFI mode, and mount it
on /boot/efi. Then select the partition you want to install Ubuntu to
and let the installer proceed.

If the partitioner can't see the ESP (It should be listed as such),
then:

1) Boot from the USB stick in "Try Ubuntu" or rescue mode - something
that will give you a shell.

2) Type 'sudo gdisk /dev/sda', and enter 'p' at the prompt. Part of the list should look like this:

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048          194559   94.0 MiB    EF00  EFI System

3) If the code is different, you need to change it to 'EF00'. Enter 't',
'1' for the partition number, and 'ef00'. You will now be back at the
main prompt, type 'w' to write, and reboot. Then run the installer again.

If all you change is the partition type you should not affect anything
stored in the partition, but as always when messing with partitions -
proceed with care. :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"