Linux, Lenovo, AMD Radeon

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Feb 27 16:33:49 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 03:02:10 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-02-27 at 16:03 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > 'ls /sys/firmware/efi/'. If that directory exists and is non-empty,
> > you are in UEFI mode.
>
> The directory exists when booted off the USB stick and contains
> files. I mounted the installed Linux partition off the HDD on /mnt
> - /mnt/sys exists, but is empty. I'm guessing /sys is a virtual
> filesystem like /proc, so that probably doesn't mean much.

/sys is mounted during boot, yes, so you won't see it when looking at
the disk from another install (or USB stick).

> > Also try 'sudo efibootmgr -v' from the USB stick, that will list
> > boot entries and the default boot order. On my system I needed to
> > increase the timeout to display the menu ('sudo efibootmgr -t 5' to
> > set to 5 secs).
>
> Here's the output from that. Sorry, most lines have wrapped I think. I
> can see no evidence of Ubuntu in there.
>
> ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ sudo efibootmgr -v
> BootCurrent: 001B
> Timeout: 2 seconds
> BootOrder: 0017,0000,0018,0019,001A,001B,001C,0021
> Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
> HD(1,GPT,f5f8d6b2-8e3f-4495-896d-1e4ace7652cf,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI
...and <snip>

Nope, no Ubuntu there. I'm still getting familiar with the intricacies
of UEFI myself, so I am a little hesitant in what to suggest. I came
across this page when searching, and suggest you take a look there
rather than me wildly guessing how to proceed:

There are a *ton* of links and suggestions there, among them this:

Lenovo Thinkpad E531 - turn off locked boot order setting in UEFI

Maybe yours is similar?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"