Linux, Lenovo, AMD Radeon

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Feb 27 15:03:27 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 01:05:39 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Left it as "UEFI Only".
>
> All the doco I found said that if you just install Ubuntu and elect to
> have it bedside Windows, it will Just Work.

Ubuntu should correctly register itself as an EFI boot entry if
installed in UEFI mode. See the other post I made about trying to
access the firmware's boot manager - Ubuntu should be listed there.

Some UEFI implementations will boot Windows no matter what as long as it
is installed, unless you go out of your way to tell it to do something
else.

> > is the case, the easiest solution is to reinstall Ubuntu in UEFI
> > mode.
>
> I'm pretty sure the the new install is UEFI - how can I check?

'ls /sys/firmware/efi/'. If that directory exists and is non-empty, you
are in UEFI mode.

Also try 'sudo efibootmgr -v' from the USB stick, that will list boot
entries and the default boot order. On my system I needed to increase
the timeout to display the menu ('sudo efibootmgr -t 5' to set to 5
secs).

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"