Linux, Lenovo, AMD Radeon

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 09:22:12 UTC 2016

On 27/02/2016, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

<snip>

> I've always liked AMD, but Intel stuff tends to Just Work with Linux.

It depends on each particular distribution.

As I have said elsewhere, it took me two years to get an Acer V3-772G
working with an OS other than the %$%^^##$ MS Win 8 (which I could not
use - it was too difficult).

The computer has an Intel i7, of, I believe, the haskell architecture,
and, only two non-MS operating systems had drivers for it; UbuntuLinux
and DragonflyBSD.

DragonflyBSD, however, did not have a driver for the nVIDIA graphics
thing; the only non-MS OS that I could find, that had a driver for
both the i7CPU and the nVIDIA graphics thing, was Ubuntu Linux.

So, I am now running UbuntuMATE 15.10 on the Acer V3-772G computer, as
the only usable operating system, that would run on it.

Debian Linux did not have a driver for each of the i7 Haskell
architecture, or, the nVIDIA graphics thing, but, UbuntuMATE 15.10
did.

> Both AMD and Nvidia can cause headaches if you need to use the
> proprietary drivers. If you have the option of returning the machine
> for one with an integrated Intel GPU I would seriously consider it.
>
> Petter
>
> --
> "I'm ionized"
> "Are you sure?"