SSDs and HDDs

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 18 21:03:02 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:30:59 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
>In terms of hibernation with ssds now so available your machine is
>going to boot clean in some 10s of seconds which would be how I would
>operate.

Using upstart or systemd most desktop machines likely need around 10 s
to even finish startup by loading from a SATA HDD. I guess some people
wish to freeze a state of a user session, instead of restoring a user
session by automatically restarting apps. Assumed it would be possible
for a jackd session, I perhaps sometimes would do this. However usually
my machine runs 24/7, just with reboots to backup entire installs and
this suspend/hibernate thingy doesn't work for real-time audio usage,
so I don't use it myself.

I agree that already with just 4 GiB RAM there quasi is no swap usage
anymore, even while doing RAM expensive work. There might be exceptions
when even much more RAM isn't enough.

Actually I have a 2 GiB swap on each of my internal HDDs. At the moment
I mount both swap partitions, but originally I only wanted to mount one
swap and just to have a swap on each disk. I guess at maximum less than
100 MiB of swap are used on my machine.

I wished /tmp as tmpfs would use swap assumed the tmpfs is full, but
this doesn't happen.