SSDs and HDDs

iceblink iceblink at seti.nl
Thu Feb 18 12:48:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-18 02:04, agents4jesus at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, I built my own Desktop computer. I've been using an old HDD
> and am planning to upgrade to an SSD. Owing to the fact that SSDs are
> expensive, I am also planning to get a 500GB or 1TB HDD for files. I
> want to put the OS and a few resource intensive programs (Android
> Studio, Blender, GIMP, etc) on the SSD, but have my home folder and my
> files on the HDD.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this? Is this something in the installation
> process that I can set up?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Perhaps also worth mentioning: there are hybrid drives that have both an
ssd and hdd part in one casing. These drives have a built-in
intelligence that determines which files are used most often, and those
files are then stored on the SDD part. This way you don't need to worry
about partitioning and what to put where.

Best regards,
Patrick