SSDs and HDDs

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 12:20:42 UTC 2016

On 18 February 2016 at 12:04, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:31:08 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>>No need to use gparted, nearly always the installer will make a
>>perfectly good job of the partitioning and setup fstab for you with
>>much less brain strain.
>
> Yes, for a new install, but I mentioned that it's even possible to copy
> an old install to a new drive, so perhaps the OP don't want to make a
> new install anymore.

I missed that you were writing a follow on from your previous post,
you are correct that gparted is the way to go if you need to format a
drive without using the installer.

> Beyond that it's good to learn how to do such things manually, since
> automations often fail, e.g. by default the Ubuntu installer is known
> to format a too small /boot partition.
>
> https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=boot+partition+too+small+bugs+launchpad

You are correct, but since most users do not need to have a separate
boot partition (and Ubiquity will not give them one by default) then
this will not affect them.

Colin