update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Feb 18 11:52:59 UTC 2016

Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
> Finally managed to create "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz" files from
> v3.13.0-77-generic. It boots up (finally!) however I have another
> issue :
> During the boot-up process the system comes up with the following
> message :
>
> modprobe: FATAL could not load
> /lib/modules/3.13.0-77-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory
>
> Now from what I understand, I also need to create some modules for
> this specific kernel version. But I am very rusty on such stuff.
> I've been doing this about a decade ago when I used to re-compile the
> kernel on the Slackware systems. But with ubuntu now, I've become
> complecent (and lazy :-) and cannot remember how to do this.

The modules are included in the linux-image package from which you made
your initrd. So I think the easiest way would be to either install the
package on the thin client as well or just copy the modules directory
from the host system. And don't forget the firmware files which also
come with the linux-image package.

Nils