SSDs and HDDs

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 18 07:12:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 02:38:55 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
>These days with 4~16gb ram desktops anything more than 2gb of swap is
>pointless, certianly 2 x 2gb is overkill.

Could you provide links to explain this claim?

Regarding this information, a large swap size could be useful:

"increase it to possibly speed up the hibernation process" -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#About_swap_partition.2Ffile_size

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:04:51 -0700, agents4jesus at gmail.com wrote:
>I want to put the OS and a few resource intensive programs (Android
>Studio, Blender, GIMP, etc) on the SSD

You even could use an existing install, by simply copying
(sudo cp -pr old new) from an existing install to the new drive. You
just need to edit /etc/fstab and to correct the bootloader and you
need to care about the order of the devices by the BIOS settings.

Regards,
Ralf