W7/Ubuntu dual boot problem

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Feb 18 05:43:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-18 at 10:41 +0530, Bachu Shanker wrote:
> hi mark
> iam not getting to it.
> wud u plz let me know the steps taken for it????

As soon as the screen blanks on boot, press the left Shift key. You
should see a selection screen come up with various boot options that you
can choose between using up/down, then enter to select.

If that doesn't work, reboot and try pressing left Shift ever earlier in
the boot process (some computers nowadays boot very quickly indeed). Or
try ESCAPE the same way.

If nothing works, it may be that you need to repair the boot loader -
Google will offer any amount of useful help; try searching on "ubuntu
repair boot loader". It all looks terribly technical, but the good news
is that unless you do something spectactularly dumb, boot loader stuff
is never fatal - you can always recover as long as you can boot off a CD
or USB stick.

If you do get it to work, you can then configure things so that the
window of opportunity (the time you have to press Shift or ESCAPE) is
set to something sensible like 2 seconds, or even set it to wait
indefinitely for you to make your choice. Or set it to boot Ubuntu by
default :-) The Boot Repair utility will let you configure all those
things.

If no amount of pressing keys works for you, I guess you will need to
configure the delay by booting off a CD or USB stick and adjusting the
GRUB (or whatever) configuration from there.

BTW you did install Windows then Ubuntu, not Ubuntu then Windows? And
not with Wubi?

Regards, K.

PS: I'm wondering if EFI is playing a part here - it's a black art to
me. But I can't see how you would have been able to boot Ubuntu to
install if it your EFI settings were prohibitive.
Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4