update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 08:50:48 UTC 2016

Hi Oliver,

>  >  for the initial configuration, so while you
>  > >  likely used ubiquity or the
>  >
>  > Sorry, could you
>  mean "synaptic" instead of "ubiquity"
>  ?
>  >
>  no, synaptic is a
>  frontend to apt, i actually mean the installer (the
>  graphical installer on the liveCD is called
>  ubiquity)

Oh. Sorry. Totaly forgot its name.
When I hear "ubiquity" I am thinking "ubiquiti",
the wireless antenae manufacturer.

>  > >  for the PXE issue, i'd
>  start with copying
>  > >  the new
>  vmlinuz and
>  > >  initrd.img files
>  into
>  > >  the PXE dir, that should
>  get you going with the
>  > >  updated
>  kernel ... once you have this fixed we
>  >
>  >  can move on and look at
>  > >
>  the remaining
>  > >  probs.
>>  > Yep, Tried it this
>  morning. Couldn't find a machine with
>  > ubuntu 12.04 x86 running on it, so I will
>  have to do a virtual
>  > installation on my
>  MAC, then try to create the two files.

I did try to create "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz" from the VM machine
I created (ubuntu workstation v12.04 LTS, x86). The actual
machine has upgraded to kernel v3.2-0-98-generic, so I tried
to create the two files :

mkinitramfs -o ./initrd.img (for the initrd.img file)
and
cp /boot/vmlinuz-`uname -r` ./vmlinuz (for the kernel)

Both files created fine.
Did a backup copy of the existing files (just in case)
Put the new files there
Re-booted one of the thin-clients and the system never boots;
As if the NFS share cannot read the two files . . . .

>  well, you need to copy the files onto the
>  machine that is your tftp
>  server into your
>  tftp dir (the machine where you got the pxelinux.cfg
>  dir)

Yep. That's what I did. Double-checked and triple-checked
with my documentation. Obviously I am doing something
wrong, however as far as I can tell, I've done everything
according to the documentation.

>  ciao
>      oli

Any ideas ? I am completely stuck.

Also, tried this on both installations/clients' sites. Same thing.
The system does not go past the os choice during boot-up.

Regards,

s.